I love, love, love doing mosaics, and my first project, my large “F” is finally done.
It took many, many hours to complete and lots of trial and error, but I finally finished.
I have to take a moment to thank my friend Janet for encouraging me to give mosaics a shot. She knew I was interested, but also knew I needed a little push! If it wasn’t for her, I don’t know that I EVER would have tried.
I started with a big wooden letter, and began adhering ceramic tiles cut to size. The heart was done with one of kitchen plates that Mr. Tattered killed months ago. I loved the color, so I saved it, just in case I ever decided to try doing a mosaic.
This was all I had to show for HOURS of work. It really was a lot harder than I thought it would be. I am so glad that I liked it from the get-go, because it would have been easy to quit and toss the big “F” onto my pile of unfinished projects.
My second session went faster, as I learned short cuts and was a little more sure of myself.
With each day I worked on it, I fell more in love with not only it, but the whole process.
I got braver and braver with interesting elements, and seriously, the more things I added, the more I loved it.
Finally I had the entire letter covered with tiles, beads and other elements, and was ready to grout.
When it got time to do the grout, I got really nervous. The idea of ruining it at this stage was just scary. But, I was determined to finish it, so I pushed ahead. I determined that a thick grout wasn’t going to work since the tiles were so close together. So I thinned it way down, and used a squirt bottle to get the grout down into the spaces, and a wet paper towel to wipe the excess grout from the face of the tiles.
It went a lot faster than I thought it would, and although it wasn’t my favorite part of the process, it wasn’t as bad as I’d feared it would be.
Grouting finished, all it needed was to have a few finishing elements glued on, and it was complete!
It needs just a tiny bit of clean up, wiping down the tiles, cleaning grout out of a few little places, but by and large, it’s ready to hang!
Technically I’m sure there are plenty of flaws, but for a first effort I am more thrilled with it than anything I’ve ever done, and can hardly wait to start the next one!